Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stay at Home Movie Club: Bachelorette (2012)

Here we go! Bachelorette is our next pick. Get watching, ladies. Can't wait to see what this gaggle of ladies get up to.

SPOILERS AND REVIEW AFTER THE JUMP!

Jen: This wasn't Bridesmaids. I still haven't been able to like Kirsten Dunst since she dated Jake Gyllenhaal. Adam Scott is so sexy and I'm confused about it. Rebel,  A for effort on the accent but it just made me feel like you were still Australian. I wish sorta, that it wasn't made. 2/5 stars because I think I only liked 2 stars in it.


Barbara: Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and give this one 4/5 stars!  It wasn't perfect, but it's my favorite style of comedy-- some great actors, inappropriate humor, and clever writing.  The premise is familiar-- a wedding reunited old friends, and old scars resurface.  The four best friends from high school are back together, only they are not so cohesive as a unit anymore. The bride-to-be is still the butt of jokes, and her besties are all train-wrecks waiting to happen.
Kirsten Dunst reprises her role as the B from Mona Lisa Smile--- you know, the perfectionist witch who can't stand to see others happiness unfold.  I mean, I really didn't like her character, but you weren't really supposed to. She nails the cold, neurotic, self-absorbed thing.   She does redeem herself over the course of this movie, stepping it up to make sure the wedding goes smoothly after chaos ensues. Only, it's her and her two buddies who cause most of the chaos in the first place.
Lizzy Caplan plays the coked-up flounderer, still clearly in love with her ex-boyfriend from high school, played by Adam Scott. I loved this storyline, mostly because I loved their chemistry in Party Down, and was so sad when that show ended!  They are both solid actors, comedically and dramatically, and I was happy to see the two of them let their bygones be bygones, and get it on.
 Isla Fisher as Becky tries an American accent again, and almost gets it right. She obviously knows how to play naive and dumb (see Confessions of a Shopaholic), and is actually quite likeable at times, despite a little over-acting in some scenes.
The guys were all good, James Marsden was there for some eye candy and to give us a brief social studies lesson on the Potsdam Conference or something.  And the other guys were in it too. Rebel, as the bride, was fine, I guess, kind of a weird performance, but maybe that was down to her attempt at an American accent as well.
I think this movie had potential to be better, but I liked that there was a female-centric comedy with some A-list stars that didn't rely solely on slapstick or Melissa McCarthy relieving herself on a sink for laughs.  It was definitely darker than your Bridesmaids/SNL style comedy, but that's okay for me. For a movie from Will Ferrel's production company,  I was pleasantly surprised.  I was, however, really grossed out by the puke on Kiki's bridesmaid's dress at the end. That was just wrong.

Did you like it? How many stars would you give it? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment